Saturday, June 19, 2010

I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

I have heard many thing about how Buddha looked and likely few are factual.



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

I don't think thats true because Prince Gautama was Indian.



What is true about him is that he said that he was NOT the way. He said that a Greater One will come after him though..



Jesus came 500 years after Buddha, fyi.



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

Well, I have red hair (or used to have, when there was any color in it). Why couldn't Buddha?



EDIT:



In India, there were more than one race. The Aryan race comes from India (and West Europeans are Aryan). So anything is possible, I suppose. (My first comment was a joke. This one isn't).



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

i'm buddhist...i have never heard this red hair thing before.



he was indian so red hair is almost impossible.



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

i highly doubt that buddha had red hair. he was an indian prince who wanted to leave his lifestyle to find a meaning for life. he simply wished to live a simple life. if you go to india, chances are are that any red hair you find is completely artificial.



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

Buddha ppl are ususally blad



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

Nobody knows what the Buddha actually looked like. The statues of him are symbolic representations rather than attempted likenesses. That being said, judging by the current residents of the place where Siddhartha was born, I highly doubt he had red hair.



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

thats funny i was told he had green hair



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

I don't think so...altho there were people people in Asia at that time who were light skinned and fair haired.



However he did say before he died that his work was not complete and after 2500 yrs had past, another buddha would come from the West with golden or red hair and:



" reveal the self same eternal truth which I have taught you"



" The Buddha that will come after me will be known as Maitreya, which means 'he whose name is kindness'



(From the Book of the Great Decease)



I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?

*** Q: I heard Buddha had red hair...how could that be true?



I think the person or place where you got that information is talking about a video game character:



Akuma



Akuma has red hair. Akuma is a martial arts fighting character in some Street Fighter video games.



Akuma may have been thought to be buddha, because he has his hair up, like you see Buddha, in my opinion, in some "Gandhara" sculptures ( see image of "gandhara" buddha statue: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co... ; buddha statues: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Gautam... ). And Akuma wears a large necklace of beads, that is probably got from buddhism. The creator of Akuma gave Akuma a buddhist bead necklace, you would say, wouldn't you?



Akuma is not a buddha, in my opinion, because he is a violent martial arts fighter, while the buddha doesn't act like him. I myself played the Akuma character much or mostly when I played a certain Street Fighter video game in the arcade, in the my life. See images of Akuma:



http://www.dogmeatsausage.com/images/pop...



http://myperso.net/Various/Akuma2.png



http://rugal2.mugenfury.com/rugal2/akuma...



Now about Buddha. I could be wrong, but:



The Buddha was a Mah鑶﹑urisa ('Great Being'; see: http://palikanon.com/english/pali_names/... ). He, accourding to buddhism, had the body with 32 major and 80 minor marks. Only two things can happen when you are born with a body with these 32 and 80:



become a buddha



or



become a World Ruler (Cakka-vatti; "chakravartin" is maybe something how another spelling of it looks like)



From the Mah鑶﹑urisa link above:



each hair is straight, blue black and at the top curls to the right;



This may -- or may not -- mean all the hairs on the buddha's body, including head hair.



Also:



His body hair is blue-black, the color of collyrium, and curls clockwise in rings. (Pali: uddhagalomo).



source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_ch...



That's if body hair means also head hair.



At this other site, it says:



(3) The hair on his head is sapphire-blue in color and without any faults, from his having had intense loving concern for all beings and having rid himself of resort to weapons.



source: http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/arc...



A source for knowing how a Buddha looks like (if it is really telling how the Buddha looks like), is:



Digha Nikaya 30 of the Pali Canon.



(That means sutta ('sutta' means sermon) # 30 in the Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism)



That wikipedia quote I have above, is maybe actually from that Digha Nikaya 30. Unfortunately, there is no online english version of it on the internet, as far as I know. but I know a place for it in the Buddhist Pali language (?) and the Sinhala (Sri Lanka?) language?:



http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1...



That is the list of Digha Nikaya suttas. Some Digha Nikaya suttas there are in english, but Digha Nikaya 30 (Lakkha鐜玜 Sutta) does not have an english version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Faratech